Friday, December 22, 2006

New Years is Planned – Bring On Prague! – Tuesday 19 December 2006

About 2 weeks ago we found out that while Egypt doesn’t recognise Christmas and therefore has no public holidays, their second Eid festival happens to start on New Years Eve. This means Sunday 31 Dec to Jan 3 are all public holidays for Eid. The Thursday is a government holiday, then it’s the weekend, then the Monday is Coptic Christmas so another public holiday.

Since we found out so late about the holiday (no one even mentioned it when they reviewed the project plan) we didn’t have much time to plan. So Chris has been having daily chats with Lufthansa trying to change his flights so he can stay longer in Canada, and I’ve been in frantic emails with my well travelled friends trying to sort something out for myself.

I needed somewhere that someone had already been so I could do the minimal amount of research and planning, but it also had to be somewhere that wasn’t going to cost me millions of dollars in airfares and accommodation. Croatia my first choice was too expensive for flights (over $1500) so I checked availability and costs of flights to pretty much everywhere. Finally I got lucky and found reasonable flights and good accommodation so I’m going to PRAGUE for new years!!

Also thanks to Ange I don’t have to think too hard about what to do while I’m there coz she was kind enough to give me a list of sites that she and Cam saw while they were there. Only downside was that the flight times are fairly average… I’ll work through Christmas, then on Friday night... well technically Saturday morning at 3am, I’ll fly to Prague for 6 days. I’m very excited :)

No comments: