Saturday, December 16, 2006

Hash at Lower Wadi Digler – Friday 8 December 2006

Well it’s Friday again and we’re braving the hash at Lower Wadi Digler. It’s just a different part of the desert than last time.

It was a good walk. It started off really steep, but then the downward return journey was a relatively gentle slope. It took about an hour and then they had a really short ‘circle’ because tonight is the BCA Christmas Ball. We decided not to go to the ball – mostly coz it was black tie and I don’t have any dresses here and Chris doesn’t have a formal dinner suit. We could have bought one, and I did look for a dress as I was shopping the last few days, but I didn’t find anything I’d even try on let alone wear!!

They have a raffle in the Circle most weeks and I went around selling the tickets this time. Wes was selling them and trying to organise other stuff so I offered to sell them. I bought four tickets myself then wandered around harassing everyone to buy raffle tickets for £10 each. The prizes were 2 slabs of beer or a slab of diet coke. The prizes are different every time – I think it depends what Wes picks up on his way to the Hash!

They had other people choose the tickets and I was the second winner so I took a slab of beer. Not a bad effort… cost me £40 coz I bought 4 tickets, but that still only equate to $10. Unfortunately I don’t think Chris or I can drink a slab of beer (even considering my new found ability to skull beer!) so I’m going to donate it to the BCA for their Christmas party. It seems that most of the prizes at all the Christmas events are donated so I figure this is an easy thing for me to donate.

After the hash we went grocery shopping at the Carrefour in Maadi. While we were walking around Chris and I decide to only buy things that would survive being in the car for a couple of hours and we went back to the ‘On-On’.

There is an ‘On-On’ after each Hash – all the people who did the Hash are invited to a dinner somewhere, generally to continue drinking and carrying on. It’s all at your own expense so you can do whatever you want.

Today’s On-On’ was at a place called Dragon House in Maadi (most the On-On’s seem to be in Maadi). It was an all you can eat buffet of Chinese food. The food was pretty nice, but the refilling of the buffet containers was fairly slack. There never seemed to be much in each pot and they only brought out about 5 at a time of the appetizers (won-tons, dumplings, spring rolls etc).

We left about 8pm but it was a nice way to finish off the day.

No comments: