Saturday, December 16, 2006

Christmas Quiz at the BCA – Tuesday 12 December 2006

Tonight we went up to the BCA for the Christmas Quiz. It was £20 a team to enter and the prizes were all donated (we were going to donate the beer but we were too rushed to carry it all the way to the BCA, we nearly didn’t get there in time as it was!).

Because we were so late we couldn’t find people to make up a team of four, so I asked the MC guy if there was anyone else who wanted to join our team and an English guy called Phil came and joined us.

We were decidedly average. All the questions were Christmas questions, like why is it called boxing day and what does the X stand for in Xmas and who was born on this xmas day in year blah blah blah. We got a few right… we were lucky Phil joined us coz he got some right that I’d never heard of. I did earn my place in the team though when the question came up ‘who had a number one hit song in 1995 with ‘can we fix it’?’ Thanks to Manda’s kids I knew straight off that it was ‘Bob the Builder’. Hardly anyone got that one :) I also took a punt on another question and got it right. The question was if you find a sixpence in your xmas pudding its suppose to bring wealth, what is it suppose to mean if you find a button? The choices were you will travel, be poor, something else I can’t remember or ‘remain unmarried’. I decided a button was kind of ‘spinster-ish’ so went with ‘remain unmarried’ and we got that one right too. I think we got about 5 or 6 points out of ten each round.

They had a ‘joker’ card and the round you played your joker you got double points. Most people player their joker in the first or second round. We played ours in the third which was really lucky because only one other team played theirs and we won the round. For winning the round we got a £50 drink card and £50 cash. Well worth the £20 entry fee!

It was a fun night and people really got into the sprit of it. Unfortunately one of the guys (a South African I think) got a little too much into the spirits rather than into the spirit… he was totally smashed and started being really rude and obnoxious. To the point when at the end of the night he was asked to leave. One of the questions was which of these four stars was born on xmas day in 1971 and they were all girls like Victoria Beckham, Dido and I can’t remember the others… the drunk guys yelled out – ‘I don’t care she’s got bit tits’. I assumed he was talking about the multiple choice selection but I found out later that he was commenting on the Egyptian barmaid. He was basically just being a drunk obnoxious bastard, but it was extra obvious because everyone else was being really fun.

Other than that it was a really fun night. We didn’t win, but we also didn’t wooden spoon so that was ok… I think we came equal second last with about 5 other teams. I really like trivia nights even though I’m total crap at them! I think there is one every month so I’m going to see if I can do better when the questions aren’t so specific to Christmas.

The very last question was what were the names of the traditional reindeer that pulled Santa’s sleigh (traditional meaning not Rudolph). We got Prancer, Donner, Vixen, Comment, Cupid, Dancer Blitzen and couldn’t for the lie of any of us remember the other one… well we’ll never forget poor old Dasher now!

No comments: