Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Work Life Balance – Tuesday 7 Nov 2006

Well any of you still slaving away on R2 or trying to get a kick start on R3 will want to skin me alive... My new manager is committed to an 8-hour day – this means that on Sunday we arrived at work at 8:40am and we were out the door by 5:15pm, then yesterday 8:40am to 4:15pm… admittedly we ate lunch at our desks, but there aren’t really any other options for lunch anyway (and lets be honest most of us are used to scoffing some lunch between meetings or while typing anyway…)

Its funny, he’s not consulting and it’s a different mind set in the development centres. The centre that he comes from enforces an 8 hour day. I’m not sure how long this luxury will last, but while it does I’m lapping it up :)

Yesterday we got home from work just a little after 5pm, had a snack, wandered around the neighbourhood trying to set what we have nearby, cooked tea and cleaned up by 8pm… I know some of you will just be getting home from work at 8pm!

I keep telling myself that millions of people work just an 8 hour day everyday, but its just not what we’re used it - even counting travel time its only a 9 ½ hour day.

I’m not convinced it can stay this good forever, but while we’re setting up and getting into it it’s lovely not to be dragging myself home each day.

Anyways… best knuckle down and do some work seen as how I’m trying to fit 10 hours of work into 8 hours! Focus, focus focus :)

No comments: