Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Hash – Friday 10 Nov 2006

Well today was a bit of an adventure… When we were on training some of the guys there were telling us about The Hash House Harriers. It’s an expat running group… well actually that’s a bit of stretch – on the website it describes itself as ‘a drinking club with a running problem’.

It was started in the 30’s by some Brit’s in Hong Kong. Basically a trail is left by a ‘Hare’ and then all the ‘Hounds’ have to follow the trail. When the guys on training first started talking about it I thought it would be too hard core running for me, but then one of the girls said ‘some people run, some jog, some walk… some stumble’. It’s not so much about being the first one back, it’s more about a group of expats getting together for some exercise and a lot of carry on.

Anyways today Chris and I decided to give it a go… we got Ahmed (driver man) to take us to Maadi (ritzy expat section of town about 20 min drive from us on a Friday afternoon, loads longer any other time of day). After some driving round we finally found the meeting point. We had no idea what to expect, no idea what we were getting ourselves in for…

When we got there we met a kiwi teacher and she gave us a quick 2 minute chat about what is going on. Then another guy showed up and we followed two other cars for about 40 minutes into the middle of nowhere. There was nothing to see for miles and miles but sand – we were seriously in the middle of the desert.

Once we got there we had to sign in under ‘Virgin Hashers’ then we got introduced to the group. The kiwi girl we met at the meeting point (Lindsey) was giving us a run down on what happens. We were warned that as newbies there would be significant effort put into taking the piss out of us, drinks would need to be skulled and other general carry on.

Everyone stood around for a bit and then at 2pm the main guy (Wes) called everyone to attention. He gave a little run down on what the walk and the run involved. Both were in different directions, the walk was about 6km and the run about 8 or 9km – though the desert (I walked, Chris ran).

Then he called Chris and I into the middle of the circle. Of course everyone assumed we were married so Wes was taking the piss out of us.

Then we all set off on the walk and run. There weren’t many runners. Chris, two ‘Hares’ and another couple of guys. Most people did the walk. We walked through the dessert, up and down massive sand dunes following little piles of orange lentils. The rules are pretty basic – you walk along following the trail (little blobs of lentils for walkers and flour for runners) and when you get to a blob that’s within a larger circle you have to wait for all the other stragglers to catch up. That’s so none if left really on their own at the end. There are definite advantages to being towards the front of the group… you get a little rest, then when the last straggler wanders in everyone sets off again.

It took about 1 hour and 20minutes to do the work. I had sand all through mu shoes, in my hair, in my teeth… The runners were already back by the time we got back. There’s an Egyptian guy who brings a truck out to the site and sells beer, soft drink and chips. So everyone bought beers and then the real carry on began.

Now all of you back home in the ‘Lucky Country’ will be oh so very proud of me!!. When we’d all got back Chris and I were called back into the circle. We were told that to commemorate our first Hash we had to participate in a ‘Down Down’. The comment was made that being an Aussie I’d have no problems skulling the drink… I looked in the mug (a ‘Down Down’ mug) and it was beer. I seriously thought I was more likely to throw up than succeed in skulling it. But I did our Aussie culture proud. They sing a song... I can’t quite remember what it was, something that ends with ‘down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down…’ then ‘why are we waiting, why are we waiting…’ etc During the ‘Down Down’ bit you’re suppose to skull your beer. I skulled it down like a professional and wasn’t the last to finish! I was very proud of myself for upholding our fine Aussie traditions. When you finish skulling you have turn the cup upside down on your head (wearing any beer left in the mug if you haven’t drunk it – I didn’t wear any!).

For the next hour or so loads of people were called into the circle for a variety of reasons. Things like, having a birthday, having done something noteworthy at the last hash or whatever – I think half the reasons were just random! I had to re-enter the circle when in celebration of Remembrance Day they had all the ’Allies’ drink to their success (then they had people represent the Axis to commiserate their downfall – including nominating the kiwi girl to represent the Japanese simply because she had black hair!). Again I did us proud and skulled another beer. I think I’ve drunk more been in the last 2 hours than I’ve drunk in my life!

When Wes called Chris and I up for our first Hash drink he was making cracks about us again and asked something to which Chris replied he was my boss. Wes looked confused and I said, yes he’s my boss. So then Wes apologised for some of his earlier comments. Not that I was ever offended. Man, Aussies have tougher skins than that!

Then they had a raffle – there were a bunch of prizes to choose from including 2 slabs of beer and bags of lollies. One of the kids won and when she went up to collect her prize everyone assumed she’d choose the lollies and she chose the slab of beer. It was hilarious. She was only about 12 and had to carry the slab all the way back to her mum at the edge of the circle.

It was really good fun. Everyone was really nice and after the Hash they have an ‘On and On’ which is just a party at someone’s house or going out for dinner or something like that.

Because we didn’t know what we were getting ourselves in for we’d had Ahmed drive us to Maadii then out into the desert. So he’d been sitting in the car in the desert for nearly 3 hours (the walk itself took about 1hr 20min, then there was all the carry on). So Chris and I decided we’d just go home tonight. We might go to an ‘On and On’ next time. The only problem is that nearly everything is in Maadi (coz that’s where most of the expats live) so it’s a fair ways from our place. Apparently there are some others from Mohandiseen so maybe once we met them it’ll be a bit easier.

Also while we were there they told us about a BCA… British Club Association (I think that’s what it stands for). There is a branch in Heliopolis but also one here in Mohandiseen. Apparently it’s near the shooting club (everything seems to be – including our apartment) and its got a pool table, a bar… stuff like that. So that’ll be cool (once we find it!!).

Most expats clubs here in Egypt can’t have Egyptian members (Hash can, but they’re the only one). Because of this the other expat clubs don’t advertise their presence coz they don’t want to have to be constantly turning away Egyptians who come to the door. So we were told roughly where the club was, but that description included ‘walk down a little corridor and it’s the wooden door’. Tucked away it seems. It’ll be good though if we can find a bar walking distance from our place.

Its funny – all of you back home know I’m not the biggest drinker amongst us – not by a long shot! But here, just because it’s hard to get drinks, I feel like I haven’t had a drink in MONTHS... well I have now of course– I’ve drunk beers in quick succession… but still I’m talking normal drinking. It just doesn’t happen here. So I look like the biggest alcoholic gagging for a drink!

Anyways, if we can find the BCA we’ll meet some more expats enjoying the Egyptian lifestyle and might be able to get a drink into the bargain.

No comments: